When we hear the word “detox” we don’t usually associate it with anything positive. Nicotine detox. Alcohol detox. Heroine detox. I don’t know about you, but these aren’t things that I really want to have in my day-to-day life. But trust me on this; detoxification is an amazing thing for your body. I’m not talking about any of the detoxes mentioned above; I’m talking about all natural, TRUE detoxification of your body. Get all that crap out—literally, in some cases—and give your body a fresh start!
When you detoxify your body, you are basically cleaning out your blood. This helps your entire body function better. Your kidneys, lymph, intestines, skin and lungs eliminate toxins, and when any of the systems connected to these organs is blocked, your body cannot function at its highest level.
Detoxification is not only about getting rid of the bad; you also need to give your body the GOOD nutrients, vitamins and rest that it needs. When you eliminate toxins and replenish your body with nutrients and rest, detoxification can help you fight off disease and even give you a new lease on life! Detoxification can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
When it comes to battling cellulite, detoxification is the leader of the platoon. When you start with a fresh canvas, your art is at its most pure. The same goes for your body. When your body is pure and free of toxins, you can begin the healing process for anything that ails it. Detoxification helps your blood flow and your skin maintain its elasticity. These are two very important factors when combating the signs of cellulite.
There are countless detoxification methods and programs out there. Here is an example of one specifically designed to help with the process of getting rid of cellulite:
- Start off with a large glass of water as your first drink of the day. You can filter the water with lemon or cucumber to add flavor, or add some cayenne pepper to give it a jump-start.
- ONLY consume liquids and raw vegetables until noon. Your liquid choice is not only limited to water. Green juices, herbal teas and dairy-free smoothies will all give you your desired results.
- Drink a large amount of water throughout the day. For best results, you want to drink as many ounces as is half of your body weight. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you want to drink 80 ounces of water. This may seem like an exaggerated amount, but the more water that you consume, the easier your body can rid itself of toxins. Makes sense, right?
- Eat as many raw fruits and vegetables as you like. The more of them you eat, the more successful your detox will be. Stay away from processed foods and try to eat organic, if possible.
- Add raw nuts and seeds into your diet. You should also eat about two cups of cooked whole grains throughout the afternoon. Spread the nuts, seeds and grain out for best results, and make sure to stay away from wheat and gluten products completely.
- Your diet should be an 80/20 split of completely raw foods (80%) and cooked veggies, beans and grains (20%).
- Make sure to add a daily multivitamin on detox days if you aren’t already taking one—which you should be.
- Do not consume ANY meat, fish, dairy products, alcohol, gluten, caffeine or sugar.
- If you are feeling sluggish, you can add more green juices or vegetables to boost your energy.
I know that is a lot of information to digest, so let’s break it down and look at what a detox day would look like for you:
- 7:00 am: Large glass of unfiltered water with a lemon wedge and pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 8:00 am: Fresh green juice served over ice. (Example: green apple, kale, spinach, parsley and celery juiced together in blender or juicer.)
- 10:00 am: 1 cup of fresh berries (blueberries or raspberries are suggested) and an herbal tea.
- 11:00 am: Another large glass of water filtered with cucumber slices.
- Noon: 1 cup of brown rice with a large green salad containing chopped raw vegetables and an olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
- 2:00 pm: Another large glass of water with a lemon wedge and a snack of sliced, raw vegetables or hummus.
- 4:00 pm: A handful of raw almonds and another herbal tea.
- 6:00 pm: A dinner consisting of 3 cups of steamed vegetables (broccoli is suggested), 2 ½ cups of cooked grain (lentils and quinoa suggested), and another large glass of water with cucumber slices.
- 8:00 pm: Chamomile tea.
This detox will help flush out your system and get rid of cellulite extremely quickly. You should only use this detoxification process once a week and make sure that you are drinking plenty of water throughout. After the detox, your body will feel fresh and alive, and you will be well on your way to getting rid of that embarrassing cellulite!